FiscalityONE Case Study – Demontfort Fine Art & Whitewall Galleries
Demontfort Fine Art is the UK’s leading international publisher and distributor of fine art – original paintings, limited editions and sculptures. Demontfort works with some of the worlds most talented artists to introduce outstanding new work to discerning audiences around the world.
- Demontfort was growing rapidly and outpacing the capabilities of its IT systems and particularly its off-the-shelf Sage software system.
- They were previously receiving IT support from a local third-party vendor and the overall quality of care and support was poor, resulting in downtime and a growing severity of system issues.
- Demonfort also had a number of field sales reps, working around the country, who would be the point of contact with local independent galleries, and would supply stock on sale-or-return and also take new sales orders.
- Another issue was the need for fast and accurate reporting – of sales, stock and other performance information critical to making decisions in the business.
Solving the Problem
- The initial challenge was to ensure proper IT support and to bring solid foundation on which to implement systems. We replaced the third-party provider with an in-house IT Manager, and changed the hardware procurement process to ensure the best and most economical gear was acquired from that point onward.
- We then began implementing Fiscality:One, starting in the warehouse, where some 75,000 pieces of art were identified and individually barcoded with a special type of stable label chemically tested and proven not to damage the artwork.
Live data synchronisation to existing system
- We created live data synchronisation read/write routines between Sage and Fiscality:One, via both ODBC and Sage Data Objects (SDO), that ran automatically every 30 minutes in order to keep both systems up to date.
Full Stock Take
- Over a period of six months, whilst still continuing to perform their day-to-day duties, the warehouse was split into dozens of virtual locations and the stock control team proceeded to label all artwork and sculptures, and afterwards began the process of performing a stock-take using the computerised Symbol barcode scanners (that we programmed and supplied as part of the implementation).
Scanned Customer Shipments Matched Requirements
- The employees in the order fulfilment department were trained in the scanned dispatch of sales orders, and began matching picked orders to existing customer requirements, dealing with any errors or queries as they arose.
Customer Billings Automated
- We implemented automated Customer Billing within Fiscality:One to replace the cumbersome and labour intensive Sage task of manually inputted customer deliveries and raising sales invoices.
- Fiscality:One Customer Billings were automatically imported into Sage and posted to the Customer’s account.
Once all systems had been automated and any issues with the barcoding systems had been resolved, we created a consolidated dashboard of information containing a refresh-able snapshot of data across all systems showing what previously took hours to produce manually:
- Stock across all locations
- Customer Orders (split by source)
- Sales & Shipments
- Stock Requirements
Artwork Database and Web CMS
One of the significant benefits of Fiscality:One is how it can be extended through AddIns.
- We set about creating a database of all artwork and developed an image management system whereby the user could import and process high-resolution master scans of artwork.
- Imported images were processed via ImageMagick and made available in different formats and sizes.
- This system was revolutionary and automated a previously massively cumbersome job.
- We enabled the artwork database to be fully searchable and provided the ability for the user to offer pieces of original artwork to Customers, with automated expiry dates etc
- Fiscality:One could track particular pieces of artwork and knew limited editions were available for sale – a vital part of Demontfort’s processing of customer orders.
Customer Ordering System
- We developed a highly-tailored customer ordering system with advanced scripted-rules functionality.
- Aboilit to minutely control the creation, discounting and stock availability for specific customers.
Hand-Held Device Customer Ordering
- Demonfort made a significant portion of its turnover via high-volume trade-show ordering and from orders taken by remote sales reps.
- Exhibition ordering often caused a backlog of manual paperwork that had to be processed manually by the sales staff.
- It could be several days from between order receipt and input.
- We introduced offline hand-held device customer ordering
- Sales staff could take orders immediately and upload them to Fiscality:One.
- Devices had a full list of Products and previous customer account data – whilst on the road, without having to rely on shaky mobile-data connections.
- Demontfort Fine Art’s IT systems were transformed at a remarkable cost.
- The gains were significant, tangible and long lasting – preparing Demontfort to embrace new opportunities.
- Demontfort were able to massively grow their business and expand into new sectors.
- The implementation was fully managed at every level
- We conduct an ongoing and thorough systems analysis at each stage
- Quickly identified and resolved any challenges in the best way possible.
- Fiscality:One brought the ability to identify the location of every single item of stock, control production and to fully automate goods-in and goods-out.
- A truly transformative system.
Fiscality:One is a new bread of ERP system with incredible flexibility & is adaptable to almost any environment. Eschewing the traditional route of our clients having to hire and rely on mind-blowingly expensive third-party consultants to perform the implementation, Fiscality:One is only ever directly implemented by us, so our client’s get the best implementation by the people who wrote the system, it’s a win-win proposition.